Important Tips for a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving
We usually focus our regular posts on how DIY home automation or wireless home security help customers in their day to day lives.In this post and few that will follow in the upcoming weeks, we will be highlighting how to stay safe during the holiday season. With Halloween now gone, most of us are already preparing for the official start of the holiday season marked by the Thanksgiving holiday.
Thanksgiving Day is supposed to be a day of family get-togethers centered around gratitude, family relationships and, of course, good food. But it is also a day when accidents are more likely to occur. Whenever you get a large groups of people together in a festive atmosphere, the risk of things going wrong do tend to increase.
We want you and your family to have a safe and happy Thanksgiving this year. In order to help you, we have put together a list of tips that you can implement in your own home.
Residential fires are more prevalent during holiday celebrations for a number of reasons. You can help reduce the risk of fire by following these tips:
• Keep candles away from any and all combustible materials; never leave candles unattended under any circumstances.
• If you are planning to deep fry your turkey, make sure it is done outside in a location that is far away from any and all structures on your property.
• Do not leave anything cooking on the stove unattended, especially if you use a gas stove.
• Be cautious if your cooking plans involve hot grease.Baking soda can be handy in case grease catches fire.
• If you plan to set up lighted decorations, inspect bulbs and cords prior to installation.
The last thing you want is for your Thanksgiving holiday to be marred by a kitchen accident. So be sure to adhere to the following:
• Keep little ones out of the kitchen while any appliances, knives, or kitchen utensils are being used.
• Pets that congregate in the kitchen looking for scraps are tripping hazards. Try to keep the pets elsewhere.
• Designate certain workspaces so that family members are not crossing paths with sharp knives or hot plates.
• Only allow adults and older teens to use conventional and electric knives.
While most people are in a mood to give thanks, unfortunately for some, there are criminals seeking the opportunity to victimize your family in some way or another while you are enjoying your Thanksgiving celebration. To prevent this, employ thefollowing tips:
• Make sure all guests lock their car doors before coming in the house.
• Keep the garage door closed and locked.
• Make sure all exterior lighting is in good working condition before it gets dark.
• If you plan to visit family, make sure you close window blinds, lock your doors & apply your home automation settings to show that there is some activity even when you are away.
• If you will be away for a few days, enlist someone to check on your house & pick up your mail.
With the holidays approaching, we believe it is vital we recommend a home security system if you don’t yet have one. A home security system can help make your home safer through deterrence and monitoring for burglary and fire. In addition, a security system can provide that extra peace of mind while you are traveling for the holidays.
Uxari carries a full line of home security and automation devices built with wireless technology. And because our systems or wireless, you can install them right out of the box without any construction necessary. In mere minutes, your home could be better protected – just in time for the holidays.